The southern mouth of the Rainbow Channel and its still deep waters, lap the sandy foreshores of Goompee (Dunwich) punctured by mining silos.
“In June 1827, Minjerribah was renamed Stradbroke Island by Governor Darling in reverence of the Honourable Captain J.H. Rous, son of the Earl of Stradbroke and also Viscount Dunwich.
Rous was the Captain of the HMS Rainbow, which was the first ship of war to enter Moreton Bay.
Governor Darling also named Dunwich, Rainbow Reach and the Rous Channel in their honour”.
(retrieved from http://www.straddiekingfishertours.com.au/stradbroke-island-history.html)